Thursday 21 June 2007

Faux finishes

Now that my hall project is nearing completion I have been sitting admiring the almost completed decor. One thing that does strike me is the number of fake or faux finishes I have used and which are typical of Victorian decor. Let me create a small list.
  • Doors - grained to look like mahogany (also window frames).
  • Dado panels - anaglypta painted and finished to look like old leather.
  • Stairs - finished to look like veined marble.
  • Frieze - lincrusta designed to look like a plaster frieze.
  • Ballusters - cast iron painted in gold.
  • Oriental carpet - Axminister made in England.
The Victorians were masters of making cheap materials look expensive and why not. While no-one will be totally fooled the result is strikingly rich and opulent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how are you?

Thanks for sharing, I have digged this post

Anonymous said...

Hello

Awesome post, just want to say thanks for the share